Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Globalization of Higher Education





Why is it that so many countries teach their citizens English as a second language? A lot of people are living in monolingual societies with English as a common thread. Many do not reside in or may never even intend to visit a country where English is an official language or is widely spoken. The English language, whether spoken or written, is an important piece of the globalization puzzle. This article will define, and show the causes and effects, of the globalization of higher education.

With one of the many ever changing theories of globalization being the integrating of cultures through trade, knowledge, and technology, it is obvious to me that being educated through an open ended pipeline of brainpower is beneficial to anyone involved. My preferred method is formal learning via the internet. The wealth of information which can be obtained on the computer with the guidance of a competent college professor is vast. Courses held online can be attended globally. Students learn together and from each other. Like a traditional classroom, it is a social avenue as well as a learning experience. The connectedness of globalization we are experiencing because of technology can be achieved through technology itself.

English has become the unofficial language of the internet, business and science. With so many English speakers in the world, transmitting and collaborating is easily achieved. I agree with Martin Carnoy in his paper titled Globalization, educational trends and the open society, when he stated “knowledge is highly portable, it lends itself easily to globalization”. With the internet we are able to bring minds together from all over the world. As an online learner I can attest that computers are changing the way higher education is being attained. Getting a college degree has become more accessible. Professors and classmates can be anyplace where there is internet access. You never have to come face to face with either, which makes it a classroom without borders. The coming together of great minds can lead to unimaginable advances in research. This can be beneficial to everyone. Now, thanks to the globalization of higher education, it is conceivable for a scientist in China to confer with another from India or the United States in an instant about an idea or finding.

“Globalization increases the demand for education” (Carnoy, 3). Because of globalization, stress is being put on universities to expand services and make room for more students to receive training or a degree. The future hires of many corporations are expected to be able to communicate and conduct business globally. Experience gained at the college level is used to achieve this. The demand of educated individuals has increased not only because of economic reasons, but also for social concerns. Economically, it is necessary in order to obtain a higher paying job to be well educated or trained in a specific field pertinent to a prospective career choice. Because the corporate world has gone global, being well educated is not limited to lessons learned in a traditional classroom being taught by a professor.

Today’s students are expected to understand a world far from where they are studying. This is why study abroad programs and innovative distance learning programs have become an integral part of a successful university ready to educate the leaders of tomorrow. Many universities have not only implemented online learning into their curriculum they have concentrated on creating an international studies program. The schools send their students to other countries as well as host students from abroad. With so many students around the world knowing English, it is fathomable to be comfortable studying abroad. Once a student goes abroad, they usually join the hosting university, living and learning with the natives. A student who has learned through this hand on type of method can return to their home school armed with valuable lessons to share with others. To be able to speak about a culture which was learned through personal experiences and practices is the most reliable source of transmission. There are even American Universities that have gone global and opened campuses in other countries. For example, New York University has a thriving campus in Abu Dhabi. Because of the advances we have made in communication and transportation the reality is that education is no longer a restricted resource of globalization.



The social concerns to which globalization’s effects can be attributed is, “the increased pressure set on universities to provide access to groups that traditionally have not attended University” (Carnoy, 5). According to InvesterWords.com, certain anti-globalization groups feel that the “people who are deprived in terms of resources are not currently capable of functioning within the increased competitive pressure that will be brought about by allowing their economies to be more connected to the rest of the world”. The “resource” which can put them ahead is higher education. One cannot be an active participant in the economic aspects of business without gained knowledge. If people are not able to be involved in the business practices being used in their own backyards, they are consequently being oppressed.

Knowledge gained globally can be the key to keeping abreast of what is in store for the future. There is no turning back to thinking locally. Educated people are joining companies all over the world without giving mind to the distance from their homes. Globalization is now technologically driven, and well educated people will be the ones ready to succeed.

Works Cited

Carnegie Council. Ben Wildavsky: Future of Global Higher Education. 5 May 2010. 15 5 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB0Wiibsl_k.

Carnoy, Martin. "Globalization, educational trends and the open society." 2005. 15 May 2011 http://www.soros.org/initiatives/esp/articles_publications/articles/globalization_20060217/carnoy_english.pdf.

Investor Words. What is Globalization? 2011 May 2011 http://www.investorwords.com/2182/globalization.html.

The Independent. Globalisation can be good. 2 May 2002. 15 May 2011 http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/higher/globalisation-can-be-good-650225.html.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,

It is interesting that so many countries have English taught in their schools even if they never intend to visit an English speaking country. In northern Belgium (Flanders)they are taught French and English before they reach College alongside their native Dutch. Having a boyfriend who is Flemish I can tell you I am most impressed at how fluent him and his family is in all three languages. It makes me wonder why our schools here in America aren't as aggressive in teaching other languages. I always feel at a slight disadvantage with only knowing English. Even though my father was from Austria he never taught me German (his family wanted to be as American as possible).

This article is quite interesting:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/02/0226_040226_language.html

They believe that in the years to come monolingual English speakers will not be able to compete with the rest of the multilingual society.

For this reason, I am studying Dutch now. As well as in the future French, Spanish(I've already been introduced to it) and German. Big load to carry but I don't plan to be fluent in all but it's a goal I intend to shoot for!

Maria Furia said...

Hi Sara, thank you for the comment, and for the article, I found it very interesting. I knew that there were a lot of languages out there, but I had no idea that there were 6000 of them. The article said that 90% of them are doomed,I think that globalization and the desire to mix in with the big guys is a big factor making this happen.
Good luck in your quest to become multilingual.

Prof. C said...

Maria, your article turns our attention to an important change in higher education - technology and higher education as part of distance learning is changing accessibility of educational resources. The partnering of universities mentioned in the video as well as the opening up of branches of major universities in the Gulf States is another new phenomenon.

Your article stimulated a lot of questions for me. Is there a lot of competition for distance learning students among universities? What is the impact of that? Is there any concern for a real or potential McDonaldization of education? What do you think will be the cultural impact of U.S. (and European) universities in the Gulf States? How is English related to global education – are you saying it is all done in English? How is this affecting education in the developing nations? How are multiple perspectives accounted for in this global delivery of education?

This is a topic very worth considering for all of us. Thanks.

Anca Degens said...

Hi Maria,
Great post very educational :) While I agree with you I that online education is brilliant, because I am doing it. I must admit that I found it easier when I was in a classroom environment, I find that I have a lot more work to do now, than I used to, due to the fact that I have a very good audio memory and remember the teachers lectures without having to try to hard. Now I have to read everything.
I understan your opinion about going global, but I think sometimes nowadays people are looking at the big picture too much and forgetting the details that make life soo sweet.

Maria Furia said...

Thank you for the comments.
Prof. C, I feel that my topic leads to so many questions. It is also so relevant and interesting to me. I think that there is a growing competition for students to take online courses as well as to study abroad. I read that there are companies devoted to distance learning and recruiting. http://chronicle.com/article/Outsourced-Ed-Colleges-Hire/66309/.
I wrote that English was related to global education because English, so widely spoken, is considered the language of the internet. Not all classes will be taught in English, but the fact that so many students have English as one of their languages gives the ability to come together and learn together online or through a study abroad program. http://www.insidehighereducation.com/layout/set/popup/layout/set/popup/news/2011/04/25/pennsylvania_public_higher_education_system_will_offer_fully_online_degrees_in_arabic_and_other_languages
The affects of globalization in education in the developing nations are not all positive. Globalized education is said to be profit driven, creating more challenges then opportunities. A lot of the same concerns of cultural loss are in the minds of some opposed. I feel that it has more positives then negatives because of the internet. I know that a computer and a connection are needed. If anything, they are becoming easier, not harder, to get.
Anca, I agree with you, online learning is not as easy as it sounds. You are right people these days do look at the big picture. We are being trained that it is necessary to do so to keep up in the business world. My daughter has already studied abroad in Italy and Spain. Except for a short trip to the Bahamas last year, I had never left the country!