By: Amy Bolick

Hip Hop Goes Global
Hip hop is an immense part of the United States and this genre of music is listened to by a wide variety of people. Hip hop is no longer only enjoyed by the people in the United States, because it has now gone global. Hip hop has now spread to many different part of the world such as Europe, Latin America, Africa, the Caribbean and also Asia.
The following video from ABC News helps to support the ways in which hip hop is spreading throughout the world (http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=2996131) . Music has always been a big part of culture and people from all backgrounds can enjoy and listen to music. Now that hip hop is going global I feel that there isn’t a limit of the hybridization that can occur with cultures.
One country that I would like to talk about which is becoming well known for the hip hop influence is China. This is one country that may not be thought about in the hip hop world but is increasingly becoming just that. In the article by The Michigan Daily entitled “Exploring the history and culture of Chinese hip hop” focuses on the many ways that hip hop is influencing the Chinese culture.
One sentence that really stood out to me was “Hip hop is an art form that is very direct, so it’s really useful for hipping people to new slang and concepts,” Hwang said. “It’s perfect for presenting ideas vocally and showing how you feel the country is changing.” I have to agree with Hwang because hip hop is an art just like any other music and the skill that these artists have is just remarkable. In China, the hip hop influence is growing and is not just in the United States.
Many parts of the world are changing and becoming more globalized and Hybridization and McDonaldization are large reasons for these changes. Hip hop is only one example of the culture exchanges that are occurring. There are many culture aspects that are becoming more popular in the United States that are originally in other parts of the world. I feel as though this can be a positive situation because cultures can become closer together but at the same time people can argue that it can be negative because of the hybridization that occurs. The original culture can become altered and even completely changed.
In Brazil, there is a community center that actually teaches street smarts to many students. The teacher also helps up-coming rappers how to use the recording systems. Some people have negative outlook on this community center but at the same time some of society applauded the chance that the children have an opportunity to express themselves and become what they want to be. A few of the people in Brazil that didn’t approve of the community center and thought that it was absurd that they have to pay tax money so that children learn to rap and use graffiti. Guiné Silva, who is a 32-year-old rapper, is the director of the center and he feels that this could be an excellent opportunity for the children in that area. Some of the lyrics in the rapping are not liked by the people and they feel offended by listening to the music. Although the lyrics may not be appropriate, I do feel that it is a great chance that this children have, they are given the time and attention they deserve so they don’t end up destroying their lives.
In Europe, France claims the hip-hop crown. Bands like NTM and Saian Supra Crew are the top music choices in the rap industry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8FfSBGWrM8. It is no question that hip hop is going global and readching out to many people across the world. The culture behind hip hop is forever molding the characteristics of the globe. Culture is a big part of everyone’s life and hip hop is just one of the many types of culture. Hip hop has becasme highly populaar in Europe and it is a chance to express a person’s style and skills. In the article “Hip Hop and Rap in Europe” The Culture of the Urban Ghetto” by Marie-Angés Beau she states “It’s the life style of the young people living in the street, promoting self expression through music, dance, graphic art (tag) and fashion wear—kids originally wear large baggy pants so they can grow up without having to buy new ones.” I think it is amazing the culture behind hip hop and all of the aspects that go into it. I don’t feel that hip hop is just simply rap and graffiti but it’s a chance for some many people to change their lives while entertaining others. Hip hop gives people the entire world a self reliance and an opportunity to express themselves. Hip hop now going global will help people all over the world to share new ideas and music with the rest of the globe. Hybridization may even take a toll on the original hip hop culture and it could be altered at times but the main idea behind hip hop will always stay and that to me will always be a positive situation if done the right way.
Works Cited:
"Exploring the History and Culture of Chinese Hip Hop." The Michigan Daily. Web. 10 May 2011.
Rohter, Larry. "Brazil - Hip-Hop - New York Times." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. 10 May 2011. Web. 10 May 2011.
Featured Articles from CNN. 15 Jan. 2001. Web. 10 May 2011.
Pictures
“Chinese Hip Hop - China Culture Harlem Yui." Arts - China Culture. Web. 10 May 2011.
3 comments:
Hi Professor Charlton and Class-
I am sorry that I wasn’t able to post videos. I have tried so many times but I can’t seem to figure it out. I really wanted the videos on my blog so I really apologize.
Amy
Hybridization and hip hop as it goes global is a great topic – as you can see by the number of folks who chose the topic. I didn’t know it was important in China too. But, I can imagine that the genre could absorb and transform expressions of the fast changing social conditions in China. And, with technology new rap songs can be transmitting the joy or angst or protest rapidly and widely. Would it also be a way to circumvent the control of the State?
I would be interested, Amy, to hear more reporting and analysis of song lyrics or the evolution and development of rap in China or Brazil. How is it hybridized, for example?
I’m a big fan of music and in recent years, I’ve been noticing this hybridization. There’s no doubt that globalization has affected the music industry, I’m sure anyone at least 18 years old knows this. As a musician, I depend on music to keep me influenced. Although I’m not a big fan of hip hop, indie rock the genre I play, follows the same principles. It’s difficult to give an artist a genre because many artists combine influences. For me, being able to download music from artists from all over the world allows me to create my own sound. The same goes with hip hop artists, especially since hip hop is closely tied to culture.
Post a Comment